The Employment Risk Management Authority (ERMA) is seeking a litigation manager.
Position provides litigation management of employment practices liability claims and cases involving public entity members of risk pools throughout California.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
For more information, view the full job posting. To apply, contact Will Portello
- Work closely with the pool administrative team, defense panel of attorneys, and pool members to ensure appropriate management of legal matters related to the self-insurance program.
- Provide guidance and resources to member agencies regarding personnel management issues at the pre- or early claim stage.
- Assign litigation matters to appropriate panel defense counsel.
- Review, evaluate and consult with defense counsel on proposed plan and strategy to defend claim.
- Review, evaluate and consult with defense counsel regarding pre-trail, trial and post-trial procedure and strategy.
- Review government tort and administrative claims and make recommendations as to proposed action by the responding entity.
- Conduct coverage evaluations under the terms of the applicable Memorandum of Coverage.
- Ensure appropriate claims are timely reported to reinsurers and excess coverage providers.
- Establish and monitor appropriate claim reserves.
- Ensure claim information is timely communicated to all defense stakeholders.
- Prepare appropriate reporting for settlement authority and approval by Boards and Committees.
- Provide recommendations to members for early alternative dispute resolution methods, when appropriate.
- Present claim-specific information to Boards and Committees, as needed.
- Monitor and assess litigation trends and data impacting the assigned pool.
- Exercise oversight of defense counsel for compliance with applicable litigation management guidelines.
- Maintain/update claim processing instructions and litigation management guidelines for each pool as appropriate.
- Exercise oversight of third-party claim administrators to ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- Review and assess defense counsel performance, using both subjective and objective measures.
- Monitor defense counsel firm and vendor billing to assure reasonableness and compliance with litigation management guidelines.
- Review and assess member agency risk management performance and conduct member risk assessments.
- Attend and monitor mediations, settlement conferences and trials as the pool representative.
- Conduct claim file reviews with third-party claim administrators and member agencies.
- Attend and participate in Board and Committee meetings.
- Develop and maintain relationships with member agency representatives and Board and Committee members
- Conduct member training and educational seminars/workshops, as needed.
- Work collaboratively with the administration, accounting and risk control departments
, Director, Litigation.#Jobs