Summary: The Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) seeks a qualified candidate for Assistant Director of Underwriting for the TASB Risk Management Fund.
Location: Austin, TX
The Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) seeks a qualified candidate for Assistant Director of Underwriting for the TASB Risk Management Fund (Fund). TASB is a large nonprofit organization in northwest Austin that offers great benefits with a wide range of opportunities to advance and learn alongside a team of talented risk management professionals. TASB administers the TASB Risk Management Fund which is one of the largest multi-line public entity risk pools in the country with over 1,000 Texas public school district members.
About the Texas Association of School Boards
The Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) has been promoting educational excellence for all Texas schoolchildren since 1949. We provide a wide variety of services and programs to help public school board members serve their communities more effectively and to help school districts function more efficiently.
Since 2009, TASB has regularly made the top 10 list in the large-employer category of the Austin Business Journal’s Best Places to Work in Central Texas. Our inclusive, friendly work environment encourages employees to innovate, collaborate, and grow. We employ a diverse mix of professional, technical, risk management, and administrative staff.
About the Position
TASB is looking for an Assistant Director of Underwriting to work in a fast-paced Underwriting & Marketing division overseeing the staff and operations of a multi-line underwriting team for property, auto, liability, workers’ compensation, cyber, and unemployment compensation coverage. The team underwrites current and prospective members of the TASB Risk Management Fund. The Fund is a multi-line public entity risk pool with over $120 million in contributions (i.e. premium) and $360 million in assets.
- Oversee and manage property, liability, workers’ compensation, cyber, and unemployment compensation underwriting for large public-entity risk pool service Texas public school districts.
- Work with marketing, claims, and risk management teams to support member services and solid financial results.
- Work with members to ensure coverage needs are understood and met.
- Review and report on Fund underwriting outcomes and trends.
- Manage team of multi-line underwriters and collaborate with member support teams.
- Position reports to the RMS Strategy & Risk Officer
- Expert understanding of commercial property and casualty underwriting practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, risk management, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in multi-line commercial underwriting, including experience underwriting public entities.
- Experience in public entity risk pooling is preferred as is knowledge or understanding of K-12 public education risk management.
- Achievement of or progress toward CPCU, ARM, or other applicable professional designation preferred.
- Excellent benefits, including employer-paid medical, dental, and life insurance as well as a retirement plan and employee assistance program. We have generous paid leave and holiday time.
- Convenient staff-supportive amenities like an on-site childcare center, mini market, fitness room, and more.
- Professional growth and advancement opportunities in a wide range of areas, including governmental relations, risk management, cooperative purchasing, investment and employee benefits, human resource management, leadership development, and more.
- A diverse, inclusive work environment that celebrates the unique perspectives and talents of all employees.
- A friendly company culture that encourages a healthy work-life balance.
Learn More and Apply
Learn more about TASB and its benefits by visiting tasb.org or by following us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn. All job applications must be submitted online through our ADP application system. Only those candidates that closely meet the job’s requirements will be selected for interview and contacted.
TASB is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of an individual's race, color, disability, religion, sex, national origin, or age. TASB does not sponsor H-1B visas. This position is subject to a background check. Any job offer is contingent upon receipt of results of a satisfactory background check.